Opelika Rotary has had a busy two months! Check out some of the highlights from our service events, socials, and meetings in August and September.
- District 6880 DG Skip Dothrow stopped by a Happy Hour meeting on August 8 to talk about many of his goals for the district.
- Food Bank Packing Night – on August 29, we had our first packing night of the year at the Food Bank of East Alabama. We packed over 660 bags for the kids at Southview Primary and Ogletree Elementary.
- On Thursday, September 6, several Rotarians spent a few hours at the AU Community Garden weeding, planting beets and turnips, and spreading out carrot crops. Thank you to Marley Halter with the community garden for having us out there!
- For our first round of grants, we awarded a total of $2,300 to four local programs/agencies.
- $1,000 – Solomon and George publishers to provide a copy of Thibedeaux and the Fish to every child at Darden Head Start
- $500 – Lee County Extension Office 4-H program
- $500 – Opelika High School “Ready to Work” scholarship
- $300 – DHR Clothe-A-Child program ($75 covers to the cost for a complete outfit for one child)
- We inducted two new members, Meredith Walkup and Katie Thurlow Barfield, in our happy hour satellite club in September.
#BuildingBetterFriendships: Pub Golf!
Opelika Rotary took a break and had a bit of fun on Saturday, August 24 in downtown Opelika by playing a round of Pub Golf! We put on our tackiest golf attire and visited nine local spots. It was such a fun day building better friendship with fellow Rotarians and exploring Opelika’s downtown scene.
Happy 5th Birthday, HHR!
Happy Hour Rotary celebrated its fifth anniversary on September 12, 2019. What better way to celebrate turning five than with a friendly game of laser tag? Cyberzone in downtown Opelika was so much fun!